Rules of Air Hockey
The game of air hockey is fairly simple, and fast game. Players in air hockey do not tend to stand around the table.
The following is a simplified rule set from the USAA website, where tournament level rules maybe found.
- A player may not stand stand beyond the centreline of his/her half.
- The puck can only be touched by the mallet. It is a foul if the hand, arm, body or clothes touch the puck.
- Only if the puck is airborne may the mallet be lifted to strike it back. Any other time it is considered a foul.
- A goal is considered if the puck has entered and dropped into the goal, for a point to be scored.
- The player who has just had a goal scored against them starts the next serve.
- The next serve must take place within 10 seconds of the puck falling into the goal.
- The player has 7 seconds to make a shot. The 7 seconds begin as soon as the puck crosses the centreline.
- If the puck stops on the centreline, any player may strike the puck.
- The winner is the first to score 7 goals.